Thursday, April 8, 2010

Not Another Dilla Post...



I know, I know, you're thinking "another dilla post...good grief!". BUT, this is really to share a wonderful and quick (and healthy) chicken recipe that I am beginning to LOVE.
Last night, I needed a quick and easy dinner. I had defrosted chicken and Mexican rice from Vigo. I had recently picked up Cook's Illustrated Light & Healthy Best Recipes for 2010 upon the suggestion of my good friends at Affordable Foodie. A Chicken Soft Taco recipe caught my eye as I love Mexican food. I think I crave queso like most women crave chocolate. Always in a search to make it a little more belly friendly, I gave the following a go with fantastic results. Most of the ingredients will be found in your pantry.

  • 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (this might be my most favorite ingredient ever)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
  • 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
  • salt & pepper
  1. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Stir in the garlic and chipotles and cook until fragrant, about 30 secondsl. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cilantro, orange juice and Worcestshire.
  2. Nestle the chicken into the skillet and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until almost cooked through, 12 to 18 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
  3. Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate. Shred the chicken with 2 forks. Meanwhile, continue to simmer the sauce over medium heat until thickened slightly and reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes.
  4. Off the heat, whisk the mustard into the sauce. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of cilantro and shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Now, last night, I didn't have fresh cilantro or adobo in chili sauce. I also substituted Dijon for yellow mustard. It was still great. Has a little kick and tangy flavor. I used the leftover chicken today for lunch with the rice and added LeSeur peas. Tonight, I made those lovely quesadillas you saw above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment, what else do you have to do for the next five seconds....