Friday, April 9, 2010

Chicken n' Dumplings

We made some chicken & dumplings on one of the last cold weekends of the long, cold Winter (so glad it's over!), and it really hit the spot. First we softened the carrots and celery in the Dutch oven (you can see the salt raining into the pot to bring out the flavors)...



Then we made a rue by adding heavy cream and flour...



While this was cooking, I made the dumplings with some chives mixed in...



Next, we added the chicken, broth, peas, and pearl onions and let that simmer...



In went the dumplings! This was my favorite part. I love how they puff up while they're cooking.



And the finished product (actually, THIS was my favorite part) - a smooth and creamy bowl of delicious chicken and dumplings, just like mama used to make (only better... okay, way better).

1 comment:

  1. surrsly!? freakin' chicken 'n' dumplins??

    well done. one of my favorite meals, and one that i've never tried.

    my grandma and mama always make the dumplings reeeeally thin. i've never had 'em all puffed up like that. me want some.

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment, what else do you have to do for the next five seconds....