Andy was flipping through Southern Living (ha!!) poolside post 4th decompression zone and came across the Okra Maque Choux recipe. This inspired a trip to YDFM where he picked up the following ingredients as well as 1 lb of skinned, boneless catfish filets and a package of Louisiana Fish Fry.
Okra Maque Choux Ingredients:
- 1/4 pound spicy smoked sausage, diced (We used YDFM Hot Chicken Sausage and added a pad of butter to make up for the lack in fat)
· 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
· 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
· garlic cloves, minced
· cups fresh corn kernels
· cup sliced fresh okra
· cup peeled, seeded, and diced tomato (1/2 lb.)
· cups Pink Lady Peas
· Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Fried Catfish Ingredients:
- 1 lb. Catfish Filets, skinned and de boned
- 1 package, Louisiana Fish Fry
- 2 cups Cold Milk
- 2 cups of Vegetable Oil for frying
Get to chopping the ingredients for the Maque Choux.
Set up your frying station (fish, shallow bowl of milk, and half package of Fish Fry)
Brown your sausage, then add garlic, onions and peppers and let simmer for 5 minutes. Next, add the rest of your ingredients for the Maque Choux and let simmer under a covered pot for 15 minutes.
I whipped up a last minute sauce, recipe follows:
- 2 Tablespoons Duke Mayo